Amber's Crazy Super Super Senior Year Around the World!!!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Exploring the Silver Mines in Potosi . . .


During the 1800s, Potosi experienced a great surge of wealth due to its silver mines. The mines are still in service, however, the prospirity is gone. The miners work hard, long hours mining tin and silver.

Visiting the silver mines is one of the main attractions in Potosi. I didn´t really think that I wanted to do it. First of all, it sounded a little boring to me. Secondly, I´ve been having trouble breathing with the altitude, so I wasn´t excited about spending alot of time in an enclosed area.

I´m so glad that I decided to go. It was really interesting and fun. The tour was me, my French friend, and four English boys. They gave us boots, a smock, and a helmet with headlamp. Then we got into this big, yellow truck and drove to a market where you could buy coca leaves, cigs, and liquor for the miners. Then, we went to the mine. We donned our gear and walked, climbed, and crawled through the mines. We passed miners working as we went. Inside the mine, there was a little museum of sorts. There was a statue where miners left offerings to the god of the mountain. We put cigarets in its mouth, coca leaves on its lap, and poured liquor at its feet. This was 94 proof liquor. You poured it and then took a shot. I had to do it three times!

Anyways, it was really interesting. Tonight, I´m getting together with my friends from my tour for dinner. Tomorrow, I am going to try to visit some hotsprings. Then, I plan to head to La Paz tomorrow night.

1 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Site Counter