Amber's Crazy Super Super Senior Year Around the World!!!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Off to Chile . . .

After two days in Mendoza, we headed off to Chile on the second night. We had arranged for an overnight bus and booked a hostel for the following night, however, we hadnt done much more planning than that. So, we got on our bus for yet another night of sleeping sitting upright in a bus at around 11 p.m., or so we thought . . . I think that Lisa and Abby stayed up, but I passed out right away because I was really tired. So, I slept somewhat consistently until the bus stopped at around 230 a.m. At that point an official looking man came aboard and everyone started to get off. So, it was pretty clear that we were supposed to get off the bus for some reason. Getting off the bus was fairly scary. We had left Mendozas city scape and temperate climate to be transported high in the Andes mountains in the middle of a snow storm, in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere. It was really creepy. I had the distinct feeling that we were about to be lined up and shot by scary looking Chilean military men. But, it turned out that we were just at the border and needed to be processed through customs.

It was a long and confusing process and the fact that it was 230 in the morning and we were groggy and cold didnt help matters at all. I was so greatful that Abbys Spanish is fairly evolved because there was alot of confusion and we actually ended up in several wrong lines. I cant imagine having to do that alone with my current grasp on the Spanish language. It was such a surreal experience and a little unfun, but it all ended well with a pretty Chile stamp in my passport and back on the warm bus.

Until two and a half hours later at 4 a.m. Chilean time . . .

. . . we arrived in Santiago in the middle of the night with no where to go and no local currency. I know this sounds terrible, but as I was standing waiting for my bag from the bus in the middle of freezing Chile in the middle of the night with no money, I felt something inside me stir that I hadnt felt in a while, the pure adrenaline and excitement for travel. I couldnt help laughing. Abby had run inside to use the bathroom, but discovered that she couldnt enter without paying, and again, we had no local currency. She wasnt happy, but I was laughing somewhere deep down. I kept half joking about finding the Hilton and staying there all day and watching American TV and ordering room service. But, alas, there was an ATM in the station, so I got some cash and we grabbed a cab to the hostel we had booked for that night.

On the way to the hostel we saw everyone leaving the local clubs. I was kind of hoping they wouldnt let us in so we could go to the Hilton, but the did. However, they didnt have a room for us until noon. We were exausted and wanted nothing more than to sleep. So, the attendant called around and found us another hostel. It was really funny because we thought that they said it was a four star hotel but what he said was the name of the hostel that sounded like saying a four star hotel. We got another cab and pulled up at what we were expecting to be a four star hotel, but clearly wasnt. Again, funny . . . Anyways, we got checked into a six person room with no one else in it and passed out until noon local time.

Around noon I got up and showered. Lisa followed after. And, Abby kept sleeping . . . So, Lisa and I went out in search of food while Abby got ready. It because apparent very early on that EVERYTHING was closed because it was good Friday. Again, terrific planning on our part. We walked for about two miles. Santiago is a pretty, large city, somewhat like Buenos Aires, but not as big or as compacted. Like Buenos Aires, there are alot of really nice parks. The streets were dead and the only things that we found open on our walk were one crappy convinience store and, of course, McDonalds. So, guess what, we ate McDonalds in Chile. You heard me, McDonalds. Everything was closed!!!

When we got back to the hostel, we asked the front desk about what would be open and what we should do. His answer was to go buy liquor and drink at the hostel. Haha. So, we went along with one of the guys who worked there and another girl staying there to the grocery store. It was pretty much like any supermercado in Buenos Aires - big store, lots of foreign food, lots of ham, cheap liquor . . . We each bought 40s of wine coolers, Coronas, and a bottle of red wine to split.

We took our huge wine coolers and our books and went to the park to sit and relax. It was one of the nicest days Ive spent traveling. It was quiet and mello, but I was still immersed in the culture. And, since nothing was open, there was no guilt about not doing anything. I spent my time thinking about what I am going to do when my time here officially ends. Its been something Ive been putting off deciding for a while.

Anyways, I will write more later. I am at an internet cafe, but I have to head home so that I can get my laundry before they close.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Site Counter